ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS for Master’s of Science and Certificate Programs
Meharry Medical College students
Meharry Medical College students can register for courses in our academic programs without going through application process.
All other applicants should meet the following requirements:
- Educational equivalent of at least a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited university in the U.S.
- Students are expected to have a working familiarity with the discipline of data science and analytics and general knowledge about the impacts of big data in businesses and corporations. All students should have a working knowledge of all aspects of Microsoft Office; and should be familiar with Internet access and usage.
- Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.75 on undergraduate work with a minimum of a “B” (GPA of 3.00) in undergraduate Calculus, Elementary Statistics, or their equivalents.
If you meet one of the above requirements, you may begin the admissions process.
Applicants can apply to begin our programs in the Fall Semester or the Spring Semester, starting in August and January respectively. While we accept students on a rolling basis, the following dates serve as application deadlines for each semester. Please contact the Office of Enrollment Management about applying after these deadlines.
July 1, 2022: Application deadline
July 15, 2022: All materials outlined in Step 2 of the applicant process.
Each applicant must complete the following:
Complete an application with a $50 nonrefundable fee.
That application will include the following:
- Two references: one professional and one academic (or both academic if prospective student has no employment experience).
- Personal statement: The School of Applied Computational Sciences (SACS) wants to know (1) your personal and career goals, and (2) how the graduate program will contribute to the achievement of your goals via the personal statement form.
- Official transcripts: Please ask your institution to send official transcripts directly to the Office of Enrollment Management. If possible, we prefer to receive an electronic transcript and the institution can email it to email@example.com.
If the institution prefers to mail transcripts, please use this address: Office of Enrollment Management, School of Applied Computational Sciences, Meharry Medical College, Lytle Hall, Room 220, 1005 Dr. D. B. Todd, Jr. Blvd., Nashville, Tennessee 37208
(Must have an undergraduate degree with at least a GPA of 2.75 or better for full admission. Applicants with a GPA of less than 3.00 in calculus and elementary statistics, including linear algebra, may be admitted conditionally and must obtain a minimum of 3.00 GPA by the end of the first 3 courses or 9 credit hours.)
- CV: Submit an electronic CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applicants must submit documentation verifying coursework or demonstrated competency in data science or computing and technology concepts and terminology, statistics, data management, and computer programming.
- GRE test scores are not required at this time.
On-campus (or virtual) interview with the School’s Admissions Committee.
Additional Requirements for International Applicants
International applicants must hold a degree comparable to a regionally accredited US baccalaureate or master’s degree. Applicants submitting transcripts from international colleges and universities are required to have them verified for US degree program equivalency before being considered for admission. Verification from the following organizations is acceptable:
- International Education Services (IES)
- World Education Services (WES)
- Global Credential Evaluators (GCE)
- Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE)
The decision of the verifying organization must be transmitted directly to Meharry Medical College in electronic form.
International applicants must provide an English proficiency test score from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Scores must be submitted directly and electronically to Meharry Medical College.
Are you interested in the M.S. Data Science or M.S. Biomedical Data Science program but need to improve your programming or statistics skillset? Contact us at email@example.com or complete the request information form to learn about courses you can take to prepare you for either program.