The Department of BIOMEDICAL DATA SCIENCE
Thank you for your interest in Biomedical Data Science. Our faculty are devoted to excellence in biomedical data science education and research that serve our local and global communities.
Biomedical Data Science is a relatively new field that is poised for significant growth due to its great potential to transform seemingly disparate fields: health care, medicine, biology and scientific discovery. Our faculty are passionate about teaching biomedical data science skills and methodologies to train the next generation of biomedical data scientists.
We are also committed to cutting-edge research on a wide range of issues that arise in health care, business and sciences. Our interdisciplinary research includes:
- artificial intelligence and machine learning such as statistical models with hidden variables
- statistical learning of challenging problems e.g. computational biology and Bayesian inference,
- genomics and bioinformatics
- diseases processes and epidemiology
- medical diagnostics and imaging
- and biology and medicine applications, such as preventative or personalized precision health care interventions
Our broad research presents opportunities for students to explore areas of their interest. We also collaborate with our colleagues across Meharry Medical College as well as investigators from other institutions and members of the health care, tech and business communities. By working together to provide solutions to society’s great challenges and in particular a transformative education, we continue to make a positive impact on our communities and the sciences.
Degree and certificates offered
MS Biomedical Data Science degree
Learn the best-practice knowledge and skills that will position you as the sought-after technology professional in biomedical data science.
Biomedical Data Science
Acquire programming skills and a basic background in biomedical data science.
Ph.D. Biomedical Data Science
Coming Soon – Fall 2022
Research and Development
Listed below are a few example research topics under consideration:
- Molecular dynamics and protein structure using genetic sequencing et al.; prediction towards complex biochemical interactions
- Theoretical biology for genetic mutation models; simulation and computation towards epidemiological and cancer rate prediction.
- Biomedical and biophysics (e.g. CT, MRI, microscopy, etc.) in medical diagnostics and imaging; deep learning via supervised and unsupervised algorithms towards quantitative analysis and modeling
- AI and ML models for deep learning in medicine and clinical; applications in EHR towards quantitative risk mitigation and intervention concepts
We also support other meaningful research and development underway at the School of Applied Computational Sciences.
A goal in the Department of Biomedical Data Science is to prepare students with the skills and experience they need for a successful career in research, industry or academia. Our student services staff support students throughout their Meharry experience as advisors on academic coursework and research projects. We also work with students to help prepare you for your career after Meharry.
We welcome applicants from a variety of backgrounds who are motivated to learn data science skills and methodologies and apply them to impactful research. Find out what you need to do to enroll in one of our academic programs.
The faculty in the Department of Biomedical Data Science are devoted to excellence in biomedical science education and research that serve our local and global communities.