Solve complex problems in our data-driven, global society.
The Meharry SACS Data Science Ph.D. will equip you to address challenging big data issues through advanced techniques like artificial intelligence, machine learning, deep learning, advanced data analytics and database design. But you will also receive a much more enriching education.
You will learn advanced code and analytical models, but also to communicate your findings to influence strategic decisions. We will challenge you to develop projects to solve real-world problems, and to avoid potential algorithmic bias and ethical use issues. As a graduate, you will be ready to collaborate across diverse teams, and also lead them to innovative data solutions.
This program will begin in August 2024, pending SACSCOC accreditation approval.
Data Science Ph.D. Student Funding Opportunity
Thanks to support from the National Science Foundation’s CREST HBCU-RISE program, we will fund 50 percent of tuition for six students in the Fall 2024 and Fall 2025 cohorts.
Data Science Ph.D. curriculum and resources
Our curriculum combines mathematics, computational science, and advanced data topics with an ethical, collaborative, and practical approach. You will apply those concepts to the research and design of real-world projects and work with our faculty as you pursue new discoveries through your dissertation.
We offer live, online courses and faculty will engage with you through interactive class lectures, office hours, in-class exercises and projects. Ph.D. students will be asked to attend some in-person sessions during the program.
- Data Science Ph.D. courses cover topics like artificial intelligence, predictive modeling and analytics, advanced database design, advanced statistics, big data privacy and security, and natural language processing.
- You will have access to first-class resources including Meharry’s high-performance, supercomputing network, cloud computing environment, and robust data resources.
Work with faculty who are impacting society
Our faculty research interests include:
- Data-focused cybersecurity implementation frameworks
- Information centric networking and software-defined networking
- Network biology and drug discovery
- Cancer genomics
- mHealth wearable sensor data analytics
- Machine learning techniques for big data streams
- Smart city and urban informatics
- Clinical informatics
- Modeling and simulation
Careers in Data Science
Data science is an in-demand career, No. 3 on Glassdoor’s Best Jobs in America list. That demand reflects the great need for professionals who understand how to apply data science to uncover valuable insights from big data. The data science profession, according to Glassdoor, has salaries ranging from $99,000 to $238,000, with compensation increasing with years of experience and expertise.
At Meharry, you will have opportunities to present your research and apply your education to tacking real-world problems. You will also discover new solutions to complex issues. We believe this experience will prepare you for a rewarding career in academia, industry or government.