Faculty and Staff
Eugene Levin, Ph.D., CP
Professor, Spatial Data Science
Director of International Programs
Ph.D., Photogrammetry, State Land Organization University, Moscow, Russia
M.Sc., Astrogeodesy, Siberian State University of Geosystems and Technology, Novosibirsk, Russia
Dr. Eugene Levin, ASPRS Certified Photogrammetrist,joined Meharry Medical College as a professor in the School of Applied Computational Sciences in October 2021. He is an expert in geospatial science and technology with more than 30 years of academic and industry experience in photogrammetry, GIS, WebGIS, mapping, remote sensing, cartography, 3D visualization, human factors, robotics, Lidar, If-SAR, UAV, and aerial and satellite product development.
Dr. Levin has published 47 papers and a book in his field. He has demonstrated sustainable research collaborations with scientists from Czech Republic, Germany, Israel, Italy, Poland, China, Belarus, Lithuania, Ukraine, Russia and Kazakhstan. Highlights of his work include:
- Created a new eye tracking-based approach to cognitive GIS and geospatial image processing;
- Developed a 4D-GIS system for manned/unmanned robotic platforms navigation, guidance, control and prediction;
- Initiated, designed, and tested small UAV platforms including one produced on 3D printer; and
- Developed a mobile mapping platform integrating GPS, lidar, and imaging sensors.
Prior to joining Meharry, Dr. Levin was associate professor and program chair of surveying engineering at the School of Technology at Michigan Tech. He also developed and was director of the Integrated Geospatial Technology graduate program at Michigan Tech.
- Geospatial big data to support health care related application scenarios
- Unmanned aerial systems for environmental monitoring and emergence situations response
- Close-range photogrammetry, computer vision and 3D printing for health care and epidemiology
- Human-computer symbiosis for decision support systems